The CMSM will post relevant information on the Enhancement Grants on the Children’s Service Child Care page of the:
Who Can Provide Assistance with Completing the Application?
County of Middlesex Contact:
Phone: 519-434-7321 ext. 2289
City of London Contacts:
Phone: 519-661-2489 ext. 7235
Phone: 519-661-2489 ext. 7225
Both Kelly and Cheryl are available to assist you with any questions you may have while completing the application. Should you require “hands on” support, both Kelly and Cheryl will be available to come to your office to provide assistance.
Enhancement Grant Updates
Deadline for submissions is April 20, 2018.
Any submissions received after May 4, 2018 will not be eligible to receive the funding.
What is the Wage Enhancement Grant or the WEG?
- The 2014 provincial budget included an investment of $269 million over three years to support a Wage Enhancement for child care staff.
What is the Goal of the Provincial Funding?
The Wage Enhancement initiative has a number of key goals:
- To close the wage gap between RECEs working in the publicly funded education system and those in the licensed child care sector;
- To help stabilize child care operators by supporting their ability to retain RECEs and non-RECE program staff; and
- To support greater employment and income security.
- Existed in a Licensed Child Care centre or Private-Home Day Care Operator between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017;
- Has an associated wage of less than $25.07 per hour;
- Is categorized as a child care supervisor, RECE, home child care visitor, or can be otherwise counted toward adult to child ratios under the Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA);
- Supplementary program staff positions that are in place to maintain lower adult-child ratios than required under the CCEYA may also be eligible for Wage Enhancement Grant Funding.
What is the impact to Operators?
Distribution to eligible staff:
Operators must clearly indicate on staff paycheques and home child care provider fee transfers, the portion of funding that is being provided through the Wage Enhancement/HCCEG, labeled as follows:
- Provincial Child Care Wage Enhancement
- Provincial Home Child Care Enhancement Grant
- Operators must also clearly state to staff that this is not an hourly wage increase, it is considered a “bonus”.
Application Process (London-Middlesex Process):
Operators must apply to their local municipal child care service manager by April 20, 2018.
- Any submissions received after May 4, 2018 will not be eligible to receive the funding.
- The application process must be posted on the municipal website by March 19, 2018.
- The London-Middlesex CMSM will review the application form and assess whether the operator qualifies for the Wage Enhancement and for the amount.
Any operator who has not submitted an application for the Wage Enhancement by the deadline identified by their municipal child care manager will not be allocated Wage Enhancement funding in 2018. Operators who miss the application deadline may apply for Wage Enhancement funding in 2019.
There are no extensions for the provision of Wage Enhancement funding in 2018, however, there will be an opportunity to apply for funding in 2018 for the 2019 year.