The CMSM will post relevant information on the Enhancement Grants on the Children’s Service Child Care page of the:
Who Can Provide Assistance with Completing the Application?
County of Middlesex Contact:
Phone: 519-434-7321 ext. 2289
City of London Contact:
Phone: 519-661-2489 ext. 7225
Both Kelly and Anne are available to assist you with any questions you may have while completing the application. Should you require “hands on” support, both Kelly and Anne will be available to provide assistance via telephone, Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
Enhancement Grant Updates
- Information Bulletin #1 - Revised
- Information Bulletin #2 - Revised
- Information Bulletni #3 - Revised
- Information Bulletin #1
- Information Bulletin #2
- Information Bulletin #3
Deadline for submissions is July 2, 2021.
Any submissions received after July 2, 2021 will not be eligible to receive the funding.
What is the Wage Enhancement Grant or the WEG?
- The 2014 provincial budget included an investment of $269 million over three years to support a Wage Enhancement for child care staff.
What is the Goal of the Provincial Funding?
The Wage Enhancement initiative has a number of key goals:
- To close the wage gap between RECEs working in the publicly funded education system and those in the licensed child care sector;
- To help stabilize child care operators by supporting their ability to retain RECEs and non-RECE program staff; and
- To support greater employment and income security.
To be eligible to receive the full 2021 wage enhancement of $2 an hour plus 17.5 percent in benefits, staff must:
- Be employed in a licensed child care centre or home child care agency;
- Have an associated base wage excluding the prior year’s wage enhancement of $26.31 or less per hour (i.e., $2.00 or more below the wage cap of $28.31); and,
- Be in a position categorized as a child care supervisor, RECE, home child care visitor, or otherwise counted toward adult to child ratios under the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014 (CCEYA).
Child care program staff that are in place to maintain higher employee-child ratios than required under the CCEYA and concurrently meet the eligibility requirements outlined above, are also eligible for wage enhancement.
What is the impact to Operators?
Distribution to eligible staff:
The Wage Enhancement Grant must be provided to eligible staff on each pay cheque. Licensed child care agencies must clearly indicate on staff pay cheques the portion of funding that is being provided through Wage Enhancement Grant (WEG) funding, labeled as “Provincial Child Care Wage Enhancement”. Agencies must fully pay out the final 2021 WEG payment to staff for each eligible position/staff in the payroll that covers December 31, 2021.
Application Process (London-Middlesex Process):
Operators must apply to their local municipal child care service manager by July 2, 2021
- Any submissions received after July 2, 2021 will not be eligible to receive the funding.
- The application process must be posted on the municipal website by June 4, 2021.
- Middlesex County will review the application form and assess whether the operator qualifies for the Wage Enhancement and for the amount.
Any operator who has not submitted an application for the Wage Enhancement by the deadline identified by their municipal child care manager will not be allocated Wage Enhancement funding in 2021. Operators who miss the application deadline may apply for Wage Enhancement funding in 2022.
There are no extensions for the provision of Wage Enhancement funding in 2021, however, there will be an opportunity to apply for funding in 2021 for the 2022 year.