Skip to main content
Around the House
- Make sure your address numbers are up and visible from the street.
- Maintain a clear 'fire zone' of 10' around structures.
- Check outdoor electrical outlets and other electrical appliances for animal nests and to ensure proper wiring.
- Keep 100' of garden hose with an attached nozzle connected and ready for use.
- Remove leaves and trash from carports and garages: Combustible materials are dangerous if they are exposed to heated automobile components, especially under the vehicle.
- Clean up and properly store paints, pool and yard chemicals.
- Check fuels containers for leaks and make sure they are properly stored.
- Let power equipment sit for approximately 30 minutes before placing it inside to be sure there is no possibility of fire.
- Some municipalities do not allow open air burning. Always check with your local fire department for questions, instructions and permits.
Back to Fire Safety Tips